Australia sealed their first win of the ongoing 2023 World Cup campaign, defeating Sri Lanka by 5 wickets in Lucknow on Monday. Chasing 210, Australia cruised to 215/5 in 35.2 overs, courtesy of Mitchell Marsh & John Inglis. With the top order batters getting dismissed with ease, Marsh gave his side hope with a knock of 52 runs off 51 balls. Meanwhile, Inglis, on his arrival, accelerated the chase with Labuschagne (40). Inglis slammed 58 off 59 deliveries. Glenn Maxwell (31*) & Marcus Stoinis (20*) wrapped up the chase for Australia with some excellent boundaries.
In the first innings, Adam Zampa led the Australian fight as he scalped 4 wickets to help his side fold Sri Lanka for 209 in 43.3 overs. Sri Lanka, who won the toss & opted to bat, got off to a strong start as the opening pair of Kusal Perera & Pathum Nissanka added 125 runs in 21.4 overs. Pat Cummins inflicted the first blow. He removed Nissanka for 61 (67) & shortly after Perera was cleaned up for 78(82). Adam Zampa then compounded Sri Lanka’s woes as he removed Kusal Mendis & Sadeera Samarawickrama for single-digit scores to shift the momentum towards Australia. There was also a brief rain delay in between, following which Australian bowlers completely dominated the proceedings. Apart from Zampa, Mitchell Starc returned with 2 scalps, while Glenn Maxwell picked 1 wicket.
- Sri Lanka won the toss, opted to bat.
- Sri Lanka made 2 changes, Australia none.
- Openers Kusal Perera & Pathum Nissanka got half-centuries.
- Adam Zampa takes 4 wickets as Australia bowl out Sri Lanka for 209 in 43.3 overs.
- Mitchell Marsh gets a half-century for Australia’s chase of 210.
- John Inglis gets a half-century for Australia.
- With this win, Australia has gained the position of no. 8 in the points table. Sri Lanka was at the 9th rank in the above table.