India got their World Cup campaign off to a winning start with a thrilling six-wicket victory over Australia in Chennai on October 8, 2023.
Australia won the toss and elected to bat first, but they were bowled out for 199 thanks to excellent bowling from Ravindra Jadeja (3/28) and Kuldeep Yadav (2/42). Steve Smith (46) and David Warner (41) were the only two batsmen to pass 40 for the visitors.
India lost their first three wickets quickly, but KL Rahul (97*) and Virat Kohli (85) added a 165-run partnership for the fourth wicket to set up the victory. Rahul was dropped by Mitchell Marsh on 12, but he went on to make a match-winning knock. Kohli also played a superb innings, anchoring the chase and scoring his 85th ODI half-century.
Hardik Pandya (11*) finished off the game with a flourish, hitting a six to seal India’s victory in the 41st over.
Turning point in the match
The turning point in the match was undoubtedly the dropped catch of Kohli by Marsh in the 6th over. Kohli went on to score 85 runs and was instrumental in India’s victory.
Key takeaways from the match
- India’s bowling was excellent, with Jadeja and Yadav leading the way.
- Australia’s batting was disappointing, with only Smith and Warner making significant contributions.
- Rahul and Kohli’s 165-run partnership anchored the win against Australia.
- Rahul was named Man of the Match for his unbeaten 97.
- Australia’s Steve Smith (46) and David Warner (41) were the only two batsmen to pass 40 for the visitors.
- India’s Jasprit Bumrah (2/35) and Josh Hazelwood (3/38) opened the bowling with wickets for their respective teams.